Monday, August 25, 2008

Memories

A few weeks ago I went to the retirement party for the principal at my old primary school Claremont Meadows Public School. Mr Reid was an awesome principal, he was always so interested in what the students were doing and really fostered a community atmosphere at what was a brand new school. I only went to CMPS for 3 years, starting from Year 4 in 1998 when the school opened. I remember the excitement of starting at a brand new school with its fresh brightly painted rooms of lime green, orange, purple and hot pink! I also remember the nervousness because although I knew a few people from my old primary school, I wondered how we would all fit in and mesh together. As usual I need not have worried and I had a great experience for my final years of primary school. My teachers interacted with me as if I was a person, not a child which, as a teacher-in-training, I really respect.

Mr Reid gave a speech and it was great. The only thing was because he has Parkinsons, he was shaky and I was so sad to see him like that because he wasn't able to be as active and fun as I remember him being. He was slow to walk up the stairs and a little bit slow when he talked. Afterwards my friend Amanda and I went up to him while Mum talked to my teacher Mrs Smith. There was this whole crowd around him, so it took awhile but I took a photo of him, myself and my friends Amanda and Deanne from our year 6 graduation to show him to help him remember. When we finally got to speak to him I told him how I had such a great experience at the school that he created and how it inspired me to want to become a primary teacher. He was happy to hear that and said I had great role models from the teachers we had at CMPS. We took a new photo with him as well, and I asked if I could give him a hug! He said of course and I found myself getting quite emotional. I guess as a kid you have this idea that the people you look up to are sort of invincible and will never succumb to the deterioration that comes with age. I just can't imagine Mr Reid ever not being a part of CMPS. He was truly the life of the school and he will be so missed. I can only hope to be half the teacher- and person- that he is.




Me in Year 4, my first year at CMPS.







Me, Mr Reid & my friend Amanda.







Amanda & I with Mrs Smith, our teacher for Years 5 & 6.



No comments: