Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekend musings...

This past Friday was an important day... not only because it was the 08/08/08 and the Olympics started, but because it was the 20th anniversary of the death of a family friend's baby, who was only 9 months older than me. His name is Dane and I often wonder... because of our closeness in age, would we have been friends? I've seen photos of him and I think what would he look like now?

On Friday, my mum said to me how odd she felt that Dane's mum doesn't have a 20 year old in her life yet she does. I said no, but she does have a 22 year old and a 19 year old. Mum agreed, but said it still made her think. She said it made her appreciate me especially on that one day. That day, I felt a little bit more excited about being alive. I'm generally a happy person, but I have moments where I look at the sky or sunset or rain and think how great God is. No one knows why I'm still standing on this earth and Dane isn't. But I appreciate it!


I didn't have much of an exciting weekend, but it was good all the same. On Friday I was happily sleeping in since I didn't have anything to get up for, when I got a phone call from PAC asking me if I could work in the Sick Bay because the woman who usually does was - you guessed it- sick.
I tossed it up for a while before I decided I needed the money- private schools pay well!!
I'm going skiing in 2 weeks, and while I can't wait to go, I can wait to fork out all that money!
Friday in the Sick Bay was an interesting day... truly one of highs and lows. We'd have no "patients" for half an hour and then boom! 5 patients at once! I saw everything from headaches to asthma to cut knees. Oh! and one case of vomit and a few involving quite a lot of blood. We even thought we had a broken arm at one point but it turned out the kid was just a bit dramatic... It was definitely a different way of working in a school, one that I'd never thought of. But it was good to see another side of education, and I need all the experience I can get!

And as usual, I have a funny kid story. On Saturday I rocked up to dancing and the little kids were rehearsing their routine for the America trip. I was wearing a t-shirt I got from a Brooke Fraser concert, and it had a big 'B' on the front. As soon as she saw me, Emi yelled out "B for Leashy B!" I'm sure you're aware my last name doesn't start with a B, in fact it starts with a P. And no, Emi didn't have her letters confused. To the contrary, she's actually very intelligent... but anyway, one day during the many that I've babysat her and Jordan, she came up with the nickname "Leashy B" and it's stuck. I've asked her countless times why she choose Leashy B instead of Leashy P but she doesn't have an answer. I call her "Emi F" in response, but it doesn't have the same ring...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Parata, this is the first time I've read your blog, and it sure has brought a smile to my face.

How amazing it is that you are being called Miss Parata at your former high school.

Living in Singapore and spending half my life on planes, doesn't give us much time to talk on the phone, although I do get a buzz when I see you on MSN, and we have a chat.

So this blog is a fantastic way for a very proud Dad to keep up with his now young adult daughter as you start making your own way in life, through Uni and your contributions to the local community.

I too stop and think of what might have been on the 8 August each year. Not a lot more to say about that, except it was one of the saddest days of my life.

Ok babe, keep up the blogging... I look forward to reading regularly about your day to day life.

Love Dad. xxx