Monday, August 24, 2009

Travelin', Travelin', Travelin', Travelin', Travelin' Through

Gah! I have so much to do before this coming weekend!

(and if you don't know why I repeat the word "Travelin'" so much in the title of this post, then you must not be very familiar with Dolly Parton. and while I am no huge fan of hers- compared to say, The Dixie Chicks; I do like that particular song.)


On Friday I'm going on a mission trip with some people from my church to Molong, which is kind of near Orange, past Bathurst. (My friend Keisha was very excited when she found out that we'll get to go 'over the other side of the mountain'! Seeing as we live on this side of the Blue Mountains, none of us have ever been over the other side. It's like a whole new world.)

We leave on Friday and stay until Sunday. We're basically going to help out the Molong Baptist Church, and I'm expecting it to be kind of a church in the middle of nowhere, but we're told the town has a population of over 1000, so I guess it could be like a rural version of Penrith. Truth be told, I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm hoping it's like Farmer Wants a Wife (a reality show we have here in Oz) since we were told a lot of the townspeople own cattle farms.

Anyway, it should take about 3 hours to drive there ("over the mountain and far away...") and Keisha, Claryse & I are doing a road trip, picking up Polly on the way over the mountain (she lives in Blaxland, which is like halfway up the mountain I guess) and we plan to have lots of dodgy 90's music playing so we can make it a really memorable girly road trip.

(On another note, I just remember something Fabian, the Swiss exchange student who is staying with my friend Elise's family, once said when he saw the Blue Mountains for the first time- "Those are not mountains!" I guess we can't really rival the Swiss Alps when it comes to mountains. So if you're reading this thinking I live in a little chalet on the foot of the mountains- ha! Although Penrith prides itself on being "the foot of the mountains", it's more or less suburbia with the Blue Mountains in the background.)


And then, the following Tuesday, we are going "home" to New Zealand for Neil's nephew's wedding. So I'm going to be leaving this wonderful sunny weather behind in exchange for the freezing, Antarctic climate of Christchurch, Queenstown and Dunedin.

I'm already stocking up on my woolen scarves, beanies and boots.

No comments: