Friday, March 6, 2009

Back at uni...

So, I'm back at uni... 3rd (and final!) year of my B.A.

On one hand, it feels like I've been at uni forever. On the other, I can't believe this will be my third consecutive year at uni (and let's not forget, my sixteenth consecutive year of education! Wow, that's a long time! With no breaks!)

This semester, I'm doing 3 Psych subjects and 1 elective.
My core Psych units are:

Abnormal Behaviour & Psychological Testing (love this unit- we get to diagnose people!)

and

Advanced Survey Design & Analysis (basically, a fancy name for Advanced Statistics)


As a 3rd year Psych student, you also have to choose a Psych elective from the "prescribed pool" (and there wasn't a heck of a lot of choice, let me tell you).
I chose Developmental Psych. The lecturer is one I had last year in the unit Social & Developmental Psych, so I knew she was really good and that made me want to choose this unit.


Finally, I had one 'free choice' elective to choose; this can be anything. As teachers-in-training (with the aim of doing a Masters in Teaching next year), we are required to do 2 units about teaching maths to kids during our degree (however, the Board of Studies only brought this into effect last semester, so we have had to suddenly find the time to take on this extra unit in our last few semesters!)

So, my dilemma was: do one of the maths units to knock it out of the way, or do the unit Children's Literature (which I have wanted to do since 1st year but have never been able to fit into my timetable) and hope that the Maths units were available in Summer School. After mulling it over and asking everyone's opinion on what they thought I should do, I decided to do what I want instead of what I have to do (for once!) and do Children's Literature.

I love the unit, and the lecturer is awesome (seriously knows her stuff!)

But my tutor? Ugh. I don't know what it is, but I don't like him. There's nothing in particular that I can say that would describe why I don't like him, I just... don't.

(FYI, he is also the "old, stretched white t-shirt" tutor I Twittered about today. Also, I think he is wearing a really old pair of JeansWest jeans, but I can't be sure. Or maybe I'm just in denial that our jeans look like that. The hems are all ripped and scuffed and they are seriously stretched out of shape. It's not that he's fat; he's quite average sized, they are just old. Old, wear-around-the-house-not-in-public-and-certainly-not-when-you're-teaching-a-class-and-trying-to-make-first-impressions jeans. It almost makes me want to offer him my services as fashion consultant or sales assistant or something. Maybe if I liked him, I would.)



Anyway, my point. So far, I like all my classes, the subjects are interesting, and I have one weird tutor dude.


And I'm definitely in the right job. Although I can't be sure if in fact, JeansWest fits best.

No comments: