Friday, September 25, 2009

ABC, 123

This past week has been mid-semester break at uni (even though we're in Week 10 of 14!)
I've been enjoying all the goodness that comes with mid-semester break - sleeping in, lounging around watching TV, meeting up with friends spontaneously. It's been lots of fun. The odd thing is, I have to keep telling myself that I still have 4 weeks of uni left! Mid-semester break has tricked my mind into thinking it's the big 3 month long summer holiday we get at the end of the year. But it is not so. I still have 7 assessments left to complete. Oh yes, the fun never ends. And that's not even counting my end of year exams.

But, the exciting thing is, that in saying I only have 4 weeks of uni left, I only have 4 weeks of my Arts degree left! Just last week, we got an email advising us that applications to graduate opened soon, and so as soon as Monday morning hit, I was on the computer downloading that form! It's all a little surreal, really. Next week we are invited to an information session about the Master of Teaching degree. Someone from the uni sits down with you and goes through your units and grades and makes sure you are eligible to enrol in the M.Teach. I'm pretty excited about that, because it means after 3 years of my (sometimes useless) Arts degree, I will finally be learning about teaching!

The downside is that the NSW Institute of Teachers has recently mandated that all Teaching degrees must be extended from 12 to 18 months. Part of the reason I decided to go to UWS in the first place was that after completing an Arts degree, you could do a M.Teach in 12 months. To change this on us in our last year is a bit of a bummer, because it means I'll graduate halfway through the school year in 2011, and who's going to employ a teacher halfway through the school year? Unless it's a maternity leave position or something like that... here's hoping!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Hi Alicia, I just stumbled across your blog through Mckmama's (don't you just love reading her blog!) :) My name is Victoria and I am from the USA (Chicago). I saw that you want to be a teacher and you are from Australia (which is the one country I want to travel to most). I just recieved my teaching degree so I thought it was neat that you are interested in being a teacher too!! Anyways, here is my own blog in case you were interested...

http://coffeeandcollege.blogspot.com/

....good luck with school!!