Saturday, July 24, 2010

Books

Every time I'm about to start uni holidays, I make myself a big mental to-do list, and reading good books is always at the top of said list. This year, one of my goals was to read more for pleasure, as opposed to just reading whatever was on my reading lists for classes!

This past year, books that I have read that I have fallen in love with include:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
A story about a German girl in Nazi Germany, who's tale is narrated by Death. Surprisingly intriguing, and not morbid at all, I couldn't put this book down. Especially because of the historical nature of the plot, and the focus on the effect of World War 2 on the native German population.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Oh my gosh, I loved this book! A story about the narrator's childhood in Afghanistan, growing up with his best friend who is also the family servant's son, and how one decision affects both of the rest of their lives. Heartbreaking, and so sad, especially when you consider the plight of Afghanistan today. I loved reading about growing up in Afghanistan, and learning more about the country.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Okay, so technically I read this last year, but it was so, so good that I wanted to mention it! I love historical fiction of any kind, and this was the best! Detailing the lives of a group of women living in Mississippi during the Civil Rights movement in the 60's, this book is written from the perspective of both white and African-American women. One of the characters narrates the way she speaks, like "Ain't nobody tellin' me nothin' bout white people", which makes it all the more authentic to read!

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
A beautiful book about the ancient customs of 19th century China, including foot binding. I really wanted to read more about foot binding, so I picked up this book, and it really entranced me. The book is really about two lifelong friends, and the journey their lives go on, even though they come from very different classes. I loved it's poignancy.

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
A book about the wife of an American president, supposedly based on the life of Laura Bush. An extremely intriguing look into the world of American politics, I loved reading about the life of a first lady. The main character comes from a relatively middle class family, and is forced into the world of country clubs and high society when she marries into a prestigious family. I loved getting a glimpse of this subset of American culture.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
When I heard this was becoming a movie, I really wanted to read the book first. So I read it, and I'm so glad I did. I fell in love with the story about a time traveller, and the effect that his condition has on his wife's life and their relationship together. I gave this to my friend Laura, and told her she "had" to read it, and when she gave it back she said, "Why did you give this to me?! I sobbed the whole way through it!" It is so well written, and such a unique concept that you can't help loving it.

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
Another book that I wanted to read before I saw the movie, Dear John was the first Nicholas Sparks book I'd ever read, and reading it changed my opinion towards him as an author. He writes really well, and his books aren't the soppy, light hearted romance novels that I first thought they were. Dear John is quite eloquent, about a soldier who falls in love with a girl he meets on a beach during his two weeks of leave. The rest of their relationship is developed through letters they send each other, and is really quite sweet. Although the ending is different to that in the movie (and I can't decide which ending I like better!) I still really enjoyed getting into this novel.

What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty
This book is about a Sydney housewife who loses ten years of her memory after an accident at the gym, and realises she has nothing in common with her older self. I loved recognising Sydney landmarks from the setting as the book progressed! Even more though, I really liked the characters in this book, and the topic it brought up about how age and life circumstances can change a person. The ending surprised me, which is always interesting, and I found myself flipping through the pages quite eagerly, which is always nice too.

Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers
I am a huge Francine Rivers fan, because she write Christian fiction that isn't cliched or boring. This novel is part one of a family saga about the women of the Waltert family, who immigrate to America from Germany. Progressing through World War 1 to World War 2, this first book focusses on Marta's life, and then the life of her daughter Hildemara Rose. I loved reading about life in the early 1900s, how women managed to cook and clean and run the household. Seeing Marta through Hildemara's eyes provided a different look at a character, and made me want to try out all the differen German baking recipes that are detailed throughout the novel! I loved it.

The Bride's Quartet - Savour the Moment by Nora Roberts
I picked up the first book in the Bride's Quartet, A Vision in White, while we were in America last year, waiting in either LAX or JFK airport (I can't remember) for our connecting flight on our way home to Sydney. I'll admit I bought it because I thought the cover was pretty! And I had no idea it was part of a series. But after reading about the adventures of four friends who own a wedding planning business, I eagerly awaited the arrival of each new book. Savour the Moment is probably my favourite, because it is about the baker in the group! I loved reading about the process of baking and decorating cakes and other baked goods. And a nice little love story doesn't hurt either!



This year, since my holidays happened to coincide with my birthday, I was able to buy a few other books that have been on my list for some time!

Here's what I've been reading recently:

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
This is on so many bestseller and "must-read" lists that I've always wanted to read it, and now I've finally gotten around to it. Except I was carrying it around in my handbag and my water bottle leaked, which has led to it being put on a shelf to dry out, hence the reason that it is on this list and not the former one. Anyway. This is a love story, across fifty years, that is set in late 19th century South America. Fascinating.

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I'll admit, I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. And since the movie comes out soon, I wanted to know if it was any good. A story about a woman who takes a year off after a messy divorce to reevaluate her life and find pleasure in doing things, I loved the first part of the book, which is about her travels to Italy. The next parts, about Indonesia and India, don't excite me as much, but I'll still give it a go.

When the Heart Cries by Cindy Woodsmall
Set in an Amish community, this book gives a fascinating look into the lives of a fictional Amish family (it even comes with a glossary of Amish, or Pennsylvanian Dutch words). Hannah wants to marry an outsider, which is forbidden and means she will be cut off from her family and community. But when a tragedy occurs everything is reevaluated and reconsidered. I'm halfway through this book, and the lives of the Amish do intrigue me. The way with which the author writes about Hannah and her life is enough to make you want to keep reading.


And what's still on my reading list?

The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
The subtitle for this book is "Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle and Generally Have More Fun" and how can you argue with that?!

Still Alice, by Lisa Genova
This has been on my reading list for ages, and I finally got around to buying it for my birthday. The author is a neuroscientist, which is compelling considering this novel is about one woman's struggle with Alzheimer's Disease. I can't wait to read it and learn more about it.

Tomorrow When the War Began, by John Marsden
I feel like a bad Australian for saying this, but... I have never read any of the books in the Tomorrow When the War Began series. There. I said it. We never studied it at school, so I never had the opportunity to read it. But now it's being turned into a movie, and so as always I feel compelled to read the book. I happened to find a copy of the third book while I was babysitting the other night, and before I knew it I was halfway through it! It was so enthralling. Now I have to go back to the beginning and start reading from book one.

No comments: