Monday, July 4, 2011

School Holidays

School holidays started this week. After 3 weeks of teaching full time, I was more than ready for them!

(Which makes me wonder how I'm going to be after teaching a whole TERM of nine weeks straight?)

Although we have three weeks of holidays, it's not all about time off for us teachers. We have to program for the next term. That basically means we have to write a timetable for all the day's activities for the next nine weeks of school- English, Maths, Science, HSIE, PD/H/PE & Creative Arts.

In case you didn't pick up on it, this is a TON of work and takes a lot of time.

This is what a completed program looks like (and this is just one term's worth of programming for English and Maths only!)
















A program basically looks like this- all the activities and lessons for the week, divided into days.





And every day, I have to sign off on what was completed by the class.



This helps keep you accountable for what you teach, and helps you stay on track throughout the term. You usually have to submit your program to the Stage Coordinator a few weeks into the term to get approved.




For now, I'm in the trenches :)
I'm slogging my way through writing my first very own program for my very own class.

If it wasn't so much work, I'd almost be excited!

No comments: