Monday, May 24, 2010

How to Applique

So, I'm on holidays. Holidays mean I need a project.

My new project: sewing. To be more specific, applique.
I went to a craft group with one of my dance teachers last week and was captivated by one lady who sat at the sewing table appliquing a rocket ship design on to a t-shirt for her little boy.

Since I don't have a sewing machine yet, I decided to try appliquing by hand. My other dance teacher just had a baby girl two weeks ago, so I thought I'd try appliquing the baby's name onto a onesie. That worked out so well that I thought I'd make one for each of her other daughter's as well!

It was actually pretty easy, just time consuming.

I went to the fabric store and bought matching fabric in different colours for each of the three girls.




Then I printed out their names on paper in block letters to trace.



With the printed names underneath the fabric, I traced the outline of the name.



Then I cut the letters out individually.



Here was the tricky part: using an iron and fusible webbing to stick the letters to the t-shirts. It took a few tries and a few different methods before I figured it out.



Once I ironed the letters with the fusible webbing, it stuck pretty well.

But I thought it would look better if it was stitched on, so I stitched the letters by hand.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brοthеr гecommendeԁ I might like this website.

He ωas once tοtally rіght. This put up actually maԁe mу day.
Yοu сan not believe just how sо much time I had spent for
this info! Thank you!

Here is mу ωeb page genesis today green coffee bean extract with svetol canada