Thursday, May 13, 2010

Where I'm At

Today is my last day of class for the semester!

Semester One, complete!

These past 10 weeks have gone so fast, I can barely believe the first semester is over. I now have the rest of May, the whole of June, and two weeks of July off! So much spare time, I won't know what to do with myself!

Of course, there are a few uni-related things I have to finish up before the semester is over. We have a workshop on behaviour management to attend, and we have to make a presentation on what we have learnt through working with our community service agencies.

The fact that my group hasn't actually started mentoring at our school yet is a bit of an inconvenience, but we have still had a few opportunities to meet with the kids and get to know them.

I have to say, the main thing I have learnt is not to judge people by their post code. The area within which the school is located is one of particularly low socioeconomic status (how's that for a university term?!) and has quite a bad reputation.

BUT, the kids and parents that I have met from the school are all fantastic. Whether this is because the teachers only selected 'good' kids, I don't know, but regardless, it has changed my perspective.

We will start mentoring hopefully next week, and visit the kids at school once or twice a week throughout our holidays.

I've also had the opportunity to start mentoring at a different school, Macarthur Anglican School, which is a sister school in the same association as PAC, where I went. I got an email from uni offerring spots in the program, and immediately sent my application. Turns out, being enrolled in a teaching program does wonders for your resumé! I got picked straight away. I'm really excited to be working with a very different group of kids to those that I am currently.

So, that's a quick catch up on what I'm up to.

Tomorrow (Friday) I'm having my girl friends over for a sleepover! I need it. We need it. It shall be good. I'm looking forward to some down time!

No comments: