Saturday, January 22, 2011

A night out with friends

Last night my friends and I went out for Claryse's birthday. We got all dressed up and headed to dinner at a local Italian restaurant in town. We had yummy garlic pizza bread and pasta to eat (which most of us couldn't finish because we were so full!) and birthday cake for dessert.

I offerred to make the cake for Claryse, and made a double layer vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream frosting from The Magnolia Bakery cookbook.







It was looking beautiful, until a minor mishap occurred when I braked at the hill at the end of my street- the cake slid onto its side and half of the icing got smooshed!

Luckily there was time to spare (and I had some leftover frosting!) soI rushed back home and tried to make repairs as best as I could. The result wasn't as good as the first attempt, because I didn't have time to re-pipe the icing and had to settle for spreading it on and smoothing it with a knife, but no one noticed except me.





Claryse started opening presents the minute we got there (that's the best part of having a birthday, right?!)










Of course, it wouldn't be a post about my friends if there wasn't the obligatory tonne of photos of them!


Laura, Elise & Claryse all did the same pose without even realising it!




Me and Keish



Keisha & I with the birthday girl




Laura and Elise- both a little tired because Laura had come straight from her work in the city, and Elise had come straight from her church's week long Summer camp!





Blowing out the "candles"





Figuring out how to cut the cake- Elise's suggestion: We get a quarter each? Haha!



Yum!

No comments: